It’s Mother’s Day this Sunday, so why not treat your Mum to the ultimate gift of love – a healthy, homemade breakfast in bed!
After all, how many meals has she cooked up for you over the years? So dust off your apron and check out some clean food recipe ideas below.
She’s going to love one of these tasty meals, plus she’ll feel great afterwards. You’ll be in the good books for life!
PURE PROTEIN, GLUTEN FREE, LOW CARB SMOOTHIE
- 2 scoops Chocolate Shake Pea Protein
- 150 mLs of your choice of milk (organic soy, A2 milk, skim milk, goat’s milk)
- ¼ cup strawberries frozen
- ¼ cup blueberries frozen
- 50 grams of unsweetened organic natural yogurt
- ¼ tsp. organic cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of chai spice mix
Blend together with 3-6 cubes of ice and drink for a low GI carb friendly protein shake.
DELICIOUS DETOX SMOOTHIE – FOR THE HEALTH-CONSCIOUS MUM ON MOTHER’S DAY
- 1 fresh (not green) coconut
- 120 mLs of chilled fresh coconut juice
- 2 heaped tbs. of Chocolate Shake Pea Protein
- Pinch of organic cinnamon and nutmeg
- Desired amount of ice
- Optional – 1 scoop of Green Qi and 1 scoop of Fiber
- You need to remove the husk from the coconut to easily access the inner coating (see http://thenaughtyvegan.com/coconut.htm)
- Crack the coconut in half and then scrape the coconut flesh out with a large metal spoon
- Add 120 mL of the coconut juice or water if too sweet and half of the coconut flesh. Add the Shake Pea Protein in the blender for 1-2 minutes until you get to your desired consistency.
- Pour the Detox Smoothie into the coconut shell for a rather exotic detox shake for your Mum on Mother’s Day.
GREEN NUT SMOOTHIE
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- ½ banana
- 2 scoops of Chocolate or Vanilla Shake Pea Protein
- 1-2 scoops of Green Qi
- 1 cup of unsweetened soy milk (Bonsoy) or goats, rice, almond or A2 milk
- ½ cup ice cubes
Blend all ingredients until the mixture is of a consistency you like.
MAGNIFICENT MOTHER’S DAY PANCAKES SERVED WITH A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE
- 1 scoop Vanilla Shake Pea Protein
- 1 free range or organic egg
- 1 scoop hazelnut meal
- ¼ cup of unsweetened soy or rice milk (If using soy use Bonsoy)
Mix all ingredients until completely blended. Cook pancake for approximately 2-3 minutes and garnish with frozen blueberries or strawberries.
HEALTHY HOT CHOCOLATE
Combine 1 cup filtered water with the following:
- 2 tbsp. Chocolate Shake Pea Protein
- 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of cinnamon
Stir and serve. Yum!
SALMON, TOMATO AND SPINACH FRITTATA
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 150g tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1kg zucchini, grated, water removed (see tip)
- 6 large eggs
- 210g can red salmon in spring water
- 2 tbs flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 200⁰C and prepare a large baking dish by greasing well with coconut oil.
In a large frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic in a little coconut oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant, then add the tomatoes, baby spinach and zucchini and continue to cook over high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the ingredients are soft and most of the moisture has evaporated. Set aside and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs well in a bowl, then add the salmon and parsley. Gradually add the vegetables, combining well.
Pour the ingredients into the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
Tip: to remove excess water from the grated zucchinis, squeeze them with paper towel until dry.